Thursday, September 29, 2005

Sources for Environmental Jobs (Environmental Job resources)

I just posted this on a forum a few days ago, so thought I'd post this here too. Here are many wonderful sources for job-hunting in the environmental field. It can be hard finding an environmental job (as I've been finding out), but hopefully the job market will be better in the coming months (once I finish grad school! :) ).

One of the best resources I've found for environmental jobs is EcoEmploy/ejobs. There are links to ecological jobs all over the U.S. in the non-profit, government, and private industries.


Also great is Idealist; my sister told me about this website many years ago, and I've found it to be one of the best resources for non-profit jobs. They have listings for positions all over the world.

For jobs in the federal government, check out their official job website, USAJOBS. Check under such agencies as Environmental Protection Agency, National Park Service, U.S. Geological Survey, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, etc.

Americorps is a great place to get community-based/environmental jobs and internships. They don't pay very much but the work experience is great and you can get money for school (undergrad, grad school, and some specialty schools).

Student Conservation Association is a great organization. You can apply for internships all over the U.S. in many governmental agencies like National Park Service and other organizations. The stipend is small but they reimburse you for traveling expenses, provide housing, and you can get an Americorps Education Award. You don't have to be a current student to do this; I wasn't. (I think you have to be under a certain age though).

Environmental Careers Org has some internships and information on their site on getting a green career. They also publish one of the best books on the subject.

Look on the webpages of your favorite non-profits. One good non-profit, National Park Foundation in D.C. has on-going internships. They are the official non-profit of the National Parks. I did an internship there myself; the staff is extremely friendly, and I worked on a little bit of everything! The stipend is about $1300/month, and the internship lasts for 6 months, or was the last time I checked.

Also, if you're a student, go to your school's career center or check with your environmental studies or biology/science departments. Usually most departments send job links to the grad students. If you're not a grad student, ask anyways! Also your school's career center will provide help in improving your interviewing skills, and of course have many resources.

No comments: