Friday, June 30, 2006

More on Scrubs and Masks; MIY Honey Scrubs and Masks Recipes (Natural Skin Care)

I've blogged about miy scrubs (brown sugar, white sugar, and salt) and masks (herbal and clay) before, but I thought I'd post some more information!

In addition to using brown sugar, white sugar, and salt to make scrubs, you can also use ingredients like ground almonds, ground oatmeal, finely ground herbs (use leaves and flowers, and none of the harder parts of plants), and cornmeal--though I prefer using sugar and salt since they melt and don't leave a mess in the bath tub! I know some ladies also like using baking soda too. A few skin care books recommend (dried) crushed avocado pits! I haven't tried this yet, but I've been saving avocado pits and am going to try this soon! However, I suggest only using sugar, almond, oatmeal, and herbs in a facial scrub, and not the grittier substances (like avocado pit, salt, and cornmeal) since they may be too harsh for the facial skin. For a great body scrub, some people even use coffee grinds!

Add oils to any of these bases, or honey, aloe, hydrosol, herbal infusion, etc. I prefer using lighter oils like kukui, camellia, grapeseed, or maybe jojoba. Or you can use oils specific for your skin type, or any of the other ingredients I've listed in my miy mask entry. Note: if you make a scrub with just sugar/salt and oil, it will have a longer shelf life (months; no need to refrigerate) than a scrub or mask made with water-based or perishable ingredients (be sure to store in the fridge and use within a few days).

All of the following recipes have honey in them, though I've included vegan substitutes too. I don't know why I've got honey on the mind--maybe because I don't eat it anymore, and only use it for skin care now and then. It leaves the skin very soft and healthy looking.



The following scrub is gentle enough for the facial skin, and is very easy to make. It may feel a bit sticky going on, but it rinses cleanly away and will leave your skin glowing.

MIY oatmeal, almond, honey scrub

Finely grind equal amounts of oatmeal and almonds in either a food processor or with a mortar and pestle. Add enough honey to make a paste. Add 1-2 drops of essential oil if desired. I don't really measure my ingredients but I like using about 1 tablespoon each of oatmeal and almonds, 1 tablespoon of honey, and a couple drops of lavender essential oil, but you may want to use more or less. Don't use more than a few drops of essential oil though, since they are highly concentrated substances, and too much may irritate your skin. Store in the fridge.

For a vegan version use aloe or a carrier oil in place of the honey.



This mask is great for really dry skin. Great for the face and body, and also the hair!

MIY Avocado mask

1/2 mashed avocado
1-2 Tablespoons honey

Mix well (make sure there are no lumps). Apply and leave on for at least 15 minutes. I recommend trying to use this all at once but if you have excess, store it in the fridge, with plastic wrap pressed on the surface.

For a vegan version, you can omit the honey. If the texture is a bit thick, add aloe, hydrosol, or maybe a little almond or soy milk.



Honey will absorb toxins and leave your skin feeling soft. You can use honey to cleanse your skin daily.

MIY Easy Honey mask

1-2 teaspoons Honey
Optional: 1-2 drops of essential oil

Pat the honey onto damp skin (it may feel sticky, but rinses right off). Leave on for 10-15 minutes.
Vegan version: try a clay mask to absorb toxics.

No comments: