Thursday, July 12, 2012

Eco Living/DIY formulating: Green cleaning and scenting melt and pour


Here are my last two Eco Living/DIY formulating articles!  I answered them in late June but due to many different reasons didn't get to post until now.

The first one is on cult classic fels naptha soap and green cleaning.  When I got this question I was very interested in researching this soap.  I hadn't heard about it before but I found out it had been around over 100 years, and I love learning about historic products.    But the ingredient list made me cringe (it is owned by Dial now), it was far from 'natural' or non-toxic as many have touted.  So in my article I broke down potentially toxic or irritating ingredients, provided references and other informative articles.  I also recommended other laundry alternatives that were truly naturally and relatively non-toxic (as long as the ingredients are correctly used).

My second article was an article on heather blossom melt and pour soap.  (Thanks K for the question!).  I make many kinds of soap (melt and pour, hot process, rebatch) but the article was specifically on melt and pour soap.  K wanted to dupe a scent from a product, but heather essential oil does not exist, so I recommended some other types of extracts she could use.

Hope everyone enjoys my articles!  :)  More posts to come!

No comments: