Friday, March 14, 2014

Ayurveda Resources (Natural Skin Care And Alternative Health)

Recently I was answering a question on a facebook group, and someone mentioned she wanted to learn more about Ayurveda.  Since I am studying Ayurveda now, I told her that I would be happy to suggest some good resources.  So I thought I would share my resources here.  Thanks J for the excellent question!  :)

I highly recommend Michael and Lesley Tierra's professional herbalism course; this is one of the herbalism courses I am currently taking.  The Tierras are long time, respected pioneers in herbalism, and they are also licensed acupuncturists.  They are some of the founders of the American Herbalists Guild (AHG). They have a unique way of looking at herbalism: they teach a combination of western herbalism, Ayurveda, and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).  I have been learning about western herbalism for thirteen years, but Ayurveda and TCM are pretty new to me.  Aside from reading a few Ayurveda based beauty books, and a few articles, I really didn't know much about it.  So I am very glad I am taking their class; I am learning so much!  Their class is very intense and in depth; it typically takes two years or longer to finish.  However they do offer a shorter home herbalist course, which is basically the first third of their professional herbalism course.  Their professional course goes on sale a few times a year.

If you can't take one of their classes right now, then I suggest getting Michael Tierra's 'Planetary Herbology' book (which discusses western herbalism, TCM, and Ayurveda).  Tierra wrote a book with K.P. Khalsa called the 'Way Of Ayurvedic Herbs'.  I've only read a few chapters of both books so far, but they are very in depth, and I have learned a lot from them!

Karta Purkh (K.P.) Khalsa is one of the most respected teachers of Ayurveda.  Khalsa is the current president of the AHG.    He has a couple free webinars on the AHG's website and on Floracopeia (an aromatherapy vendor).  One of the AHG's webinars is on Floracopeia's website; it is on Ayurvedic herbs.  I've taken a few of his free webinars, and once I finish some of the herbal and aromatherapy courses I am taking, I hope to take more of his classes!  I think some of his courses on Floracopeia's website are currently on sale (at the time of this writing).

I would check out the works of David Crow (owner of Floracopeia, who is a teacher of Ayurveda, TCM, and aromatherapy).  Floracopeia has several different types of courses, including Ayurveda courses from many different teachers.   There is even an aromatherapy Ayurveda course too!  Best of all they always have free webinars!   Floracopeia courses go on sale a few times a year.

J said that she was interested in learning about Ayurveda for beauty.  I read a few Ayurvedic beauty books years ago.  One of the ones I really liked was Absolute Beauty by Pratima Raichur.  Pratima Raichur is an Ayurvedic practitioner, and she has a degree in biochemistry.  She is the owner of Pratima Ayurvedic skin care, a well respected skin care company.  I have never used her line, but a lot of people are fans of her sunscreen!

I enjoyed the Ayurvedic beauty books by Melanie Sachs.   I think her most popular book is 'Ayurvedic Beauty Care'.  It is now available on kindle; it is one of the few GOOD natural beauty books available as an e-book.

There are so many other excellent Ayurvedic books; these are just the tip of the iceburg.  I am having so much fun learning about this different way of looking at life, and this way of healing.  And I can't wait to learn even more!

No comments: