Sunday, December 03, 2006

Soapwort Cleanser (Herbal information/All Natural Cosmetics)

This fall/winter, the weather has been drying out my facial skin much more than usual. So I've stopped using my beloved shea soap on my face, and have been using soapwort instead.

Soapwort is a very gentle cleanser; it is so gentle that museums use it to clean antique fabrics. It can be used as a skin cleasner or shampoo or for fabrics, but I haven't tried it on fabrics yet!

I like it because it doesn't dry out my facial skin. It is a natural saponin, so doesn't lather as much as soap does but does turn slightly bubbly when you make it. It actually doesn't lather that much at all but it will clean your skin very well.

It is one of the only decoctions that I know of that you can make that actually has a long shelf life. One source (Worwood) says it will last indefinitely, but if you infuse it with other herbs like most recipes recommend shelf life (non-refrigerated) is reduced to 8 to 11 or so days.

Directions adapted from the book "The New Age Herbalist".

To make, pour boiling water (2-3 cups) over 1 oz of the root, let steep for 12 hours, and then boil (covered) for 15-20 minutes. Strain. Let cool and store in fridge.

I like adding a small amount of xanthan gum to thicken it up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing this!

Solarkat said...

Hi inspired.sis

Sorry for the late response (I am so behind on updating my blog, since I am working on my thesis). But your welcome and thanks for your comment!

Cheers,
Li