Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Vegan Baked Goods at Whole Foods (Vegetarian/Vegan Food Information)

I was just walking in the Philly Whole Foods this weekend, when I noticed they had vegan baked goods. For those that are relatively new to Whole Foods and buy regularly at the bakery department this may not be a surprise to you, but it was to me. I remember that before Whole Foods bought out Fresh Fields (in the DC area) Fresh Fields used to have a very good assortment of vegan desserts: from cookies to cakes and everything in between. I used to enjoy them on the rare occasions I went to Fresh Fields (I was young and didn't have a car) but to my dismay after Whole Foods bought them out, all the vegan desserts disappeared. Now I don't know when exactly they brought them back (I obviously haven't been looking at the baked goods section for the last three years) but it was really nice to see vegan desserts back on the shelves--even if my hypoglycemia is worse and I can't eat them (they contain white flour and sugar). I didn't get to check to see if the DC/VA Whole Foods carry the vegan desserts/baked goods, but will post when I do. My mom, who tried the vegan carrot cake, loves it (my mom is one of the pickiest eaters in the world, and also--after all this time--still hasn't accepted the fact that me being veggie is healthy).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Snowcat!

I didn't know about your fabulous blog. I saved it in my favorites menu, and plan to read everything on it.

I have to say, that my biggest dilemma with vegan baked goods is that to create the creamy texture lost when removing the eggs, alot of times and inordinate amount of oil is added. Combine vegan with gluten free and it becomes almost impossible!

I didn't know that you were in this area....you must come and visit me. Please e-mail me, i don't have your e-mail address handy!!!

Namaste

Tepora

Solarkat said...

Hi Teporah,

Will email you soon :)

Cheers,
Solarkat/Snowcat