Saturday, September 10, 2005

Neil Gaiman (Author/blog link)

I first heard of Neil Gaiman through the music of Tori Amos. I've been listening to Tori's music since 1992, and was curious about who this 'Neil Gaiman' was that she kept singing about (Neil's name has appeared in several of her songs). It wasn't until about 5 or 6 years ago, when I was searching for new authors to read, that I stumbled across a copy of "Stardust". I admit the thing that made me decide to read it was that Tori had sang about Neil making her into a tree in one of her songs ("Horses" from the 'Boys for Pele' album), and Neil had made her a tree in this book. I fell in love with his writing, and since then have read all of his books (I still haven't gotten around to any of his famous "Sandman" comic books though; kind of out of my comic book phase, but the stories and artwork are supposed to be fantastic). The things I love about his writing are his humor and insight on many different subjects, and his originality.

Aside from writing wonderful books (and comic books), he also has a very interesting blog. Recent topics include the adoption and picture of a new kitty bent on world domination, and homemade 'Satanic tomato' salsa for sale to benefit the recent hurricane victims.

I had the opportunity to hear him read at last year's National Book Festival. For those who missed it, he is also reading at this year's also (on September 24th).

No comments: